Many of us are yet to see the light when it comes to protection from the sun. A recent study carried out on adults revealed that nearly 40 percent of people indicated that they don’t use sunscreen while the remaining 60 percent said they only make use of sunscreen occasionally. That stat is frightening, in as much as most of us obtain the greater part of our sun exposure by the way, for instance, while driving our cars or walking around on lunch break. Our exposure to the sun is not necessarily as a result of staying outdoors for long periods, let’s say at the beach or on a picnic. No matter what your reasons are, dermatologists suggest that ignoring the need for sunscreen is the most despicable skin mistake to make. Such detrimental oversight can lead to premature aging of the skin, development of wrinkles and brown spots, and likely skin cancer. Here, you’ll find the crucial steps to adopt while deciding on a clean and safe sunscreen.

Steps for Choosing a Clean and Safe Sunscreen

Here are some essential pointers on how to pick a clean and safe sunscreen:

Always go for a mineral sunscreen.

Sunscreens with mineral ingredients act as physical blockers of UV rays. Once applied to the skin, they sit on the surface of the skin and reflect away the ultraviolet rays when they come in contact with the skin. Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide are the recommended and active sun protection ingredients for mineral sunscreens. When making a demand for mineral sunscreens, look for these ingredients in formulations before making any purchase.

Avoid using a chemical sunscreen.

For absolute protection, go for sunscreens that combine the required active ingredients with natural ingredients. A typical sunscreen functions as a chemical absorber, that is, the active ingredient in the sunscreen penetrates the skin and forms a thin film protective layer that absorbs UV rays. The active ingredients commonly used in chemical sunscreens include octinoxate and oxybenzone. You should, however, try to avoid these chemical compounds.

Consider a sunscreen with antioxidant for added sun protection.

No sunscreen can guard you against all ultraviolet radiation or the free radicals it produces, so dermatologists suggest buying backup sunscreen protection with ingredients like green tea and soy, as well as vitamins C and E. New sunscreens now have added power that comes with these ingredients. If your favorite sunscreen doesn’t have these ingredients, then consider using an antioxidant serum. Choose serums such as creams and lotions and not sprays. Sprays do not have dermatological testing and approval like lotions have. Although you may need to wash your hands after using lotions due to its stickiness, still you can be guaranteed of long hours of protection when applied.

Go for a sunblock with a broad-spectrum.

Broad-spectrum sunblocks protect against both Ultraviolet A and Ultraviolet B rays. Lengthy exposure to UVB rays can result in cancer of the skin. Zinc Oxide comes as the safest broad-spectrum sunblock protecting you from UVA and UVB. Titanium Dioxide is also very helpful with UVB rays and should be applied alongside Zinc Oxide for maximum broad-spectrum UV protection.

Read labels to ensure you’re buying a sunscreen with UVA protection.

Generally, sunscreens are good at protecting the skin from UVB radiation; those that penetrate the skin and cause burning. In actual fact, the sun protection factor (SPF) represents the period of time you can remain in the sun with no sunburn. Protection against UVA radiation (which sink into the skin and are responsible for premature aging) is where a number of sunscreens fall short. With this in mind, look at the labels of sunscreens and go for those that offer the ideal SPF for maximum protection.

Search for an SPF in the range of 30 to 50 for perfect protection.

When shopping for sunscreens, some folks believe that the higher the sun protection factor, the greater is the protection provided. This is not the case. Any product for sun care needs to carry a sun protection factor of 15 or higher for it to be referred to as a sunblock. Although SPF in the range of 15 to 30 offers some protection, experts recommend sunscreens with SPF of 30 to 50 for adequate sun protection. On the contrary, a sunscreen with an SPF of 100 does not offer more protection than those having SPF 50. Any sunscreen with an SPF greater than 50 offers only minimal effective protection and such labeling is usually a marketing strategy.


Sunscreen in recent times is fast becoming one item that a number of folks are giving renewed consideration for daily usage.  So, whether you’re getting ready for a school picnic, a swim play date, or a holiday, your sunscreen should be the first of many items to pack. Although owning and wearing sunscreen is important, not all sunscreens out there in the market will do a good job of skin protection. For that reason, go for a sunscreen that is certified to be clean and safe for use.